The month of July marked the 40th year of independence for the Bahamas and although I am too young to be one of those Bahamians who remember that 10th day of July in 1973, I was honored to be recognized as one of 40 outstanding Bahamians whom will make a difference for the Bahamas within the next 40 years. Some might describe my passion for the ocean and the Bahamas as being contagious but simply put I love the ocean and I love what I do which makes it really easy for me to share my enthusiasm with others.  I think that is what makes the EDGE fellowship so fantastic as it has provided a vehicle for me to combine my love for diving, the ocean and conservation and share that with youth throughout the Bahamas. One of the objectives of my EDGE project Empowering Youth Through Coral Conservation has been to train youth to become members of a Coral Conservation Team (CCT) that will work along side me in the filed as we study Pillar coral (Dendrogyra cylindrus), analyze our findings in the lab and share the importance of pillar coral and coral reefs within local communities.  On paper the project sounds fairly simple find youth, teach them to dive, study coral…. the reality is not as simple, but rather a story of logistical trials, character development and many laughs…laughter, because crying is simply not an option.  As I am still conducting an in-depth literature review on pillar coral and methods on studying rare coral species I jumped into training the coral conservation team. One of the first things that I have realized is that the quality of my data is paramount and what I am really doing is training youth that in two to three years will have the capacity to monitor reefs but for now our efforts or focused on coral id, mastering buoyancy while diving and learning the basics about the marine environment.
Working with youth on each island presents its various challenges, In Nassau where I live there are 18 youth currently enrolled in the project where an hours bus ride and trek through a dirt trail with everyone pitching in to transport the dive gear is just the beginning of our day.  Our home base is a little thatch gazebo on a sandy beach that provides access to deep water from shore.  Unfortunately the reef that we frequent for our training is not the healthiest and is covered with macro algae, however during a training dive last week we spotted a dead colony of pillar coral with only one living column about the size of my thumb. Even though its small I now know there is pillar coral in the waters around Nassau.

Working in Cat Island has been far more exciting as far as pillar coral sightings are concerned. The Cat Island CCT has conducted training dives where there have been beautiful colonies of pillar coral and the first person to site it usually ends up banging on the back of their tank to get everyone’s attention and behind everyone’s masks are wide eyes and big smiles. It is always exciting to hear the joy in a CCT member who has no more than 10 dives under their belt describe an encounter with a pillar coral colony during a dive that I wasn’t present on.  It is during these conversations that I realize that my passion for the ocean and pillar coral is being transferred and that in time these Coral Conservation Teams will be powerful forces of conservation within local communities.

Working with the CCT is just the beginning of my EDGE conservation project and it is exciting to be a role model for so many youth and introduce to the world of conservation as I am developing an early career conservation biologist.

Comments

If you need great paper - I strongly recommend you to visit our service. You won't regret this.

Coral serves as the home of other marine species and it's sad to hear that in some parts of the world they destroy corals to sell it. Aside from crushing it in purpose corals are lessened because of how acidic the ocean water is. We need people like you to influence and train the youth to help with the conservation of corals. The help of local communities will be a huge help in finding data about the status and the needed solution. Continue on posting information about your EDGE conservation project and good luck on your career as a marine biologist.

07/07/2017 9:46pm

The Bahamas is considered as a real paradise. It has white sand beaches, pristine blue waters and abundant marine life. However, as time passes the beaches of the island became polluted due to the lack of proper waste disposal. It is very disappointing that other people disregard the beauty of the place and just trash it. I hope the Bahamian government will take action and put up a law that will protect and preserve its beaches.

10/01/2015 8:07am

Thank you for sharing this post with us, I am working in Odyssey Surf School as a surf trainer. Scuba Diving is a wonderful activity and a great way to experience the beauty of underwater worlds. But one has to be careful when diving. Otherwise your fun adventure could quickly turn into an underwater nightmare.

01/18/2016 1:59am

Finance Homework Answers Homework Help, Finance Homework Answers Finance Assignment, Finance Homework Answers Finance Homework and Project of financial management Finance Homework Answers.

01/18/2016 2:24am

Amplitude Modulation Assignment and Online Homework Help & Project Help We have mentioned that amplitude modulation is a means used to transmit  by varying the .amplitude of a high-frequency carrier.

Linear Programming Stats Homework, assignment and Project Help, Linear Programming Assignment Help In accounting,Linear Programming (LP) is the statistical strategy to optimally allocating limited resources

Puma STRIPE SLEEVELESS GOLF POLO SHIRT Wholesale and Puma STRIPE SLEEVELESS GOLF POLO SHIRT wholesalers online Puma STRIPE SLEEVELESS GOLF POLO SHIRT Puma STRIPE SLEEVELESS GOLF POLO SHIRT

01/18/2016 5:32am

Circuits Physics Homework Help and Circuits Physics Assignments Help available 24/7, as well as Assignments Experts and Tutors also available online for hire for Physics Projects.

05/25/2016 3:26am

We will be in Cat Island the end of July and my child who is just got a certificate in diving this  previous summer can hardly wait to jump. He will take a refresher course from balidiveaction one week from now before we take off.

06/28/2016 6:20am

Hello me and my friend who works in balisurfinglesson.com, Scuba plunging is not a customary game or recreational movement. Actually, progressed and claim to fame courses in open circuit scuba plunging have opened ways to built up proficient vocations that require specialized, submerged jumping aptitude.

09/15/2016 8:01am

Becoming flushed, queasiness, infection, loss of hunger, over the top sweating, looseness of the bowels, cerebral pains, shortness of breath, shaking, negative non-verbal communication, dry mouth and bad dreams are only a specimen of responses that are brought on from the stress of what others thoroughly consider you.If you would like to learn diving, please visit us at www.odysseysurfschool.com

04/07/2017 8:13am

After a very successful first four seasons, the makers of Vikings are finally coming up with the fifth season. It will have some starcast changes and hopefully it is going to be even more exciting. You can check out my site for more details about the same and stay updated.

05/09/2017 8:02am

i love to travel this blog was very informative thanks for sharing information .

06/09/2017 7:21am

i want to travel this blog was exceptionally educational a debt of gratitude is in order for sharing data Thank you for offering this post to us, Otherwise your fun experience could rapidly transform into a submerged bad dream.

06/22/2017 5:13am

The app provides a stunning video quality and allows to stream in HD quality for videos

07/28/2017 8:49am

Thank you for your blog, keep sharing these kind of informative blogs.

08/07/2017 5:57am

Thanks for your post.

08/09/2017 8:35am

Thank you for your post.

08/21/2017 5:10am

Thanks for posting the blog.

08/31/2017 5:53am

Thanks for sharing your Blog.

09/13/2017 8:11am